Folder Size for Windows adds a new column to the Details view in Windows Explorer. The new column shows not only the size of files, but also the size of folders. It keeps track of which folders you view, and scans them in the background so you can see complete size of all files within the folder. It's very useful for cleaning up your disk. Once you get used to having that information available, a directory listing simply looks incomplete without it!
* Don't switch to another program to see folder sizes.
* No scanning phase before you can start.
* Explorer will automatically update the folder size column in real-time.
* Background scans won't monopolize your disk.
* It won't waste any CPU time.
* Folder Size will also display in these languages. French, Spanish, German, Italian, Dutch, Swedish, Japanese, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese
* Folder Size for Windows may be distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
Folder Size for Windows is split up into three components: The service which caches folder size information and makes it available to other processes; a column handler shell extension that makes a column available to Windows Explorer using data retrieved from the service, and a control panel for configuration.
Folder Size for Windows is written in C++ using Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003. See the source code!
I have this on my system (have been running it for the past few months now) and I realised how much its become a useful part of my daily use when I had accidently removed it. Nothing overboard, very simple and extremely efficient this is a unique application which is a must have. Wonder why Windows did not think of this before! Folder Size in action screen shot here.